Les Negociants sur la Mediterranee
Our love for authentic wine and our admiration for the hard work of artisanal winemakers drives our instincts to promote the efforts and the aspirations of artisanal winemakers and vine growers that truly respect nature.
The term “Les Negociants” is used in France to declare professionals that connect the winemakers with the final consumer (hotels, restaurants, winebars…..).
The idea behind “sur la Mediterranee” is based on our belief that the Mediterranean countries, especially the regions that touch the waves of this ancient sea, are blessed with vines that are much neglected in the Greek hospitality industry.
“For us one of the noblest gestures of mankind is to cultivate the land with respect: working together with nature and let her pay us back.”
All the wineries that we represent on an exclusivity basis in Greece, share the following common values/principles:
- Practice either strict organic or biodynamic viticulture
- Do not use any chemicals in their vineyards
- Do not buy grapes from other wineries; use only the grapes that they cultivate with their own bare hands
- Respect nature & view their vineyards as part of an ecosystem that needs to be in balance in order to provide grapes of high quality
- Cultivate quite old vines that result to minimum yields and as a consequence grapes of maximum concentration
- During the alcoholic fermentation they depend only on indigenous yeasts; in no way they use commercial yeasts
- No use of modern vinification techniques, such as centrifugation….etc
- Minimal use of filtration; let nature and time do their “magic”
- Minimal use of sulphur(SO2); only before the bottling process
- Rarely use new barrels; expect maximum expression of fruit flavours